After Internal Review On Benghazi Report, CBS Puts Logan On Leave
CBS has asked Lara Logan, the 60 Minutes correspondent whose recent story on a deadly 2012 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, was found to have multiple flaws, to take a leave of absence, along with her producer on the story. An internal report also found wider problems at the network; a summary of that report's findings was leaked to the media Tuesday.
The news was revealed to staff at CBS in a memo from network chairman Jeff Fager, who is also the executive producer of 60 Minutes. In it, he cited the "distinguished" work Logan and her colleague have done for CBS over the years.
Logan's report on the attack that killed a U.S. ambassador and three other Americans was retracted within weeks of its airing on Oct. 27. It featured Dylan Davies, a security contractor who reportedly told a different version of events to 60 Minutes than he did to his employer and to the FBI.
From the AP:
"The show relied on an interview with a security contractor who said he was at the U.S. mission in Libya the night it was attacked last year, but questions were raised about whether the source was lying. A CBS internal report obtained by The Associated Press on Tuesday found the network did a poor job vetting the story."
In early November, Logan delivered an apology to viewers, saying, "The truth is that we made a mistake."
As NPR TV critic Eric Deggans wrote earlier this month, "There has also been criticism of 60 Minutes for not disclosing in its report that Davies' book is being published by a unit of Simon and Schuster — a part of the CBS media empire. Logan did not address that point."
In the summary of findings from Al Ortiz, CBS News' executive director of standards and practices, the network echoes that criticism.
The length of the hiatus for Logan and her producer, Max McClellan, hasn't been determined, the AP reports, citing Fager.