Nelson Mandela Back In Hospital With Health Complications
The office of South Africa's president says an ailing Nelson Mandela has returned to the hospital because of a lung infection.
The statement says the 94-year-old Mandela had a recurrence of the illness that had recently hospitalized him, and that his condition deteriorated in the last few days. This is Mandela's fourth admission to the hospital since late last year.
He is said to be in "stable but serious" condition at a Pretoria hospital.
The anti-apartheid figure was South Africa's first black and democratically elected president when he won the office in 1994.
We'll update this story as it develops.
- Former Nebraska Journalist Reflects on Nelson Mandela's Passing
- DeKlerk visit brings back personal memories for South African reporter
- Howard Buffett: Farmer of the world
- Nebraska researcher finds AIDS in Africa is a medical and cultural challenge
- Nebraska's changing religious landscape: How immigration is diversifying the state's beliefs