Watch this testimonial from Dodge Co. Head Start Director, Stephanie Knust, at Fremont's Ready To Learn event.
Nebraska Ready To Learn
Preparing Children to be 21st Century Learners
Nebraska’s Ready To Learn Initiative seeks to enhance school readiness efforts and offset learning gaps. Research indicates that children are better prepared for success in kindergarten when preschool teachers and families use the RTL resources. RTL is a coordinated learning experience that connects concepts learned in school, after school, during summer programs, and in the home with the goal of strengthening children’s math and literacy skills.
Ready To Learn is an effective children’s media program (television, online activities, mobile game apps, events, etc.) targeted toward America’s most at-risk 2 to 8-year-olds, but is available to all families and children across the country. RTL’s high-quality transmedia content is unparalleled in its impact, value, and necessity.
- RTL's free programming finds its largest audience in low-income households: Hispanic, African-American, and low-income homes represent a disproportionately higher percentage of PBS KIDS viewers and online visitors compared to their representation in the U.S. population.
- Nebraska's poverty level was 16.3% in the 2009 U.S. Census, based on Federal Poverty Guidelines of children 8-years-old and under.
- In 2012, about 6,000 children were enrolled in Head Start, Early Head Start, or American Indian Head Start in Nebraska.
| ||These statistics foreshadow|
the more than 1 million kids
who drop out of high school
Positive Findings with Ready To Learn
Playing Ready To Learn educational games gave all children measurable gains in key literacy skills, but was more significant with low-income children. Preschoolers who participated in the PBS KIDS Raising Readers outscored their peers who did not participate in the curriculum on:
- Knowing concepts of story and print (12% gain).
- Recognizing letters in own name (7.4% gain).
- Knowing sounds of letters (37% gain).
- Naming letters (20.8% gain).
All PBS parent and teacher resources are translated into Spanish.
Watch this testimonial from Fremont's Ready To Learn Night.